Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Cockies of Bungaree



Unknown



Come all you weary travellers that's out of work just mind,
You take a trip to Bungaree and plenty there you'll find.
Have a trial with the cockies, you can take it straight from me,
I'm very sure you'll rue the day you first saw Bungaree.

Well how I come this weary way I mean to let you know,
Being out of employment I didn't know where to go.
So I went to the registry office and there I did agree
To take a job of clearing for a cocky in Bungaree.

His homestead was of surface mud, the roof of mouldy thatch,
The doors and windows hung by a nail with never a bolt or catch.
The chickens laid eggs on the table such a sight you never did see,
One laid an egg in the old tin plate of the cocky of Bungaree.

Well, it's early the very next morning, it was the usual go.
He rattled a plate for breakfast before the sun did show.
The stars were shining glorious and the moon was high, you see,
I thought before the sun would rise I'd die in Bungaree.

By the time I come into supper, it was just on half past nine
And when I had it eat I reckon it was my bedtime.
But the cocky he come over to me and he says with a merry laugh,
I want you now for an hour or two to cut a bail of chaff.

Well, when the work was over, I had to nurse the youngest child,
Whenever I cracked a bit of a joke the missus she would smile.
The old feller he got jealous, looked like he'd murder me
And there he sat and whipped the cat, the cocky in Bungaree.

Well, when I'd done my first week's work I reckoned I'd had enough,
I went up to that cocky and asked him for me stuff.
I came down into Ballarat and it didn't take me long
I went straight into Sayer's Hotel and blued me one pound one.

So now me job is over and I'm at liberty,
I'll never forget the day I met that cocky in Bungaree.


From AL Lloyd's Outback Ballads (1960).

No comments:

Post a Comment