Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Starry Night For A Ramble



Samuel Bagnal




I like a game at croquet or bowling on the green,
I like a little boating to pull against the stream;
But of all the games that I love best to fill me with delight,
I like to take a ramble upon a starry night.

CHORUS:
It's a starry night for a ramble,
In a flow'ry dell,
Thro' the bush and the bramble,
Kiss, but never tell.

Talk about your bathing and strolling on the sands,
Or some unseen verandah where gentle zephyr fans,
Or rolling home in the morning, boys, and very nearly tight,
Could never beat a ramble upon a starry night.

I like to take my sweetheart, "of course you would," said he,
And softly whisper in her ear, "how dearly I love thee!"
And when you picture to yourselves the scenes of such delight,
You'll want to take a ramble upon a starry night.

Some will choose velocipede, and others take a drive,
And some will sit and mope at home, half dead and half alive,
And some will choose a steamboat, and others even fight,
But I'll enjoy my ramble upon a starry night.


Mudcat (Bob Bolton) has this from an undated broadside in Glasgow, collected by Ron Edwards. John Hopkins University has a published copy authored by Samuel Bagnal, which I have used here.

The tune is a popular waltz for dances in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment