Monday, January 16, 2012

Saint Peter






Words:  Henry Lawson
Tune:  Traditional (The Wearing of the Green)



Now, I think there is a likeness 'twixt St Peter's life and mine 

For he did a lot of trampin' long ago in Palestine
He was 'union' when the workers first began to organize

And I'm glad that old St Peter keeps the gate of Paradise



When the ancient agitator and his brothers carried swags
I've no doubt he very often tramped with empty tucker-bags

And I'm glad he's Heaven's picket, for I hate explainin' things

And he'll think a union ticket just as good as Whitely King's



When I reach the great head-station which is somewhere 'off the track'
I won't want to talk with angels who have never been out back
 
They might bother me with offers of a banjo meanin' well

And a pair of wings to fly with, when I only want a spell



I'll just ask for old St Peter, and I think, when he appears
I will only have to tell him that I carried swag for years
'I've been on the track,' I'll tell him, 'an' I done the best I could'

And he'll understand me better than the other angels would



He won't try to get a chorus out of lungs that's worn to rags

Or to graft the wings on shoulders that is stiff with humpin' swags
But I'll rest about the station where the work-bell never rings

Till they blow the final trumpet and the Great Judge sees to things



No comments:

Post a Comment